Since kickoff back in September, the whole season has been leading up to this moment as the official College Football Playoff rankings and schedule of games have been announced and we move towards the national championship.
Georgia emerged as the No. 3 team in the initial CFP top 25 poll, but moved into pole position after beating then-No. 1 Tennessee and stayed there for the remainder of the season as the consensus top team in the country.
It’s official: College Football Playoff semifinal, New Year’s games are set
TCU maintained its hold on the No. 3 ranking despite losing the Big 12 Championship Game, setting up a semifinal matchup against undefeated Big Ten champion Michigan, and Ohio State was able to move into the final four despite a late loss to the Wolverines, after then-No. 4 USC lost the Pac-12 title game.
The 2022-23 College Football Playoff schedule includes two semifinal games at the end of the calendar year, followed by the national championship in early January.
1. Georgia. For the first time ever, the Bulldogs are 13-0, perfect after winning the SEC Championship Game over LSU behind the premier scoring defense in college football and a big-play offense led by Heisman finalist quarterback Stetson Bennett and all-world targets like tight end Brock Bowers.
2. Michigan. Also 13-0 for the first time, the Wolverines leaned on one of the nation’s best rushing attacks and a top-ranked defense to run through the Big Ten schedule undefeated, capped off by a statement win at Ohio State before knocking off Purdue to claim the conference championship.
Going bowling: The full college football bowl schedule for 2022-23
3. TCU. Heisman finalist quarterback Max Duggan didn’t even start the season as the starter, but took hold of the job and never let it go, leading an offense that went over 500 yards per game much of the year and spearheaded a series of dramatic comebacks. Losing the Big 12 title game didn’t affect the Horned Frogs’ seeding thanks to other movement in the rankings.
4. Ohio State. Injuries to key playmakers resulted in a slight step back for the Buckeyes’ usually pyrotechnic offense, but quarterback C.J. Stroud, another Heisman Trophy finalist, still has other elite targets like receiver Marvin Harrison, Jr., and is tied for 1st nationally among quarterbacks with 37 touchdown passes on the year. OSU nudged back into the College Football Playoff rankings after USC’s loss to Utah in the Pac-12 Championship Game, and edged out SEC contenders Alabama and Tennessee, both at two losses, in the final poll.
CFP history: Most appearances in the College Football Playoff rankings
Fiesta Bowl Semifinal
(3) TCU vs. (2) Michigan
Sat., Dec. 31 | 4 p.m. | ESPN
Streams live on fuboTV (Try for free)
Peach Bowl Semifinal
(4) Ohio State vs. (1) Georgia
Sat., Dec. 31 | 8 p.m. | ESPN
Streams live on fuboTV (Try for free)
It’s not just the playoff: Best non-CFP bowl games you should watch
The national title game is set for Monday, Jan. 9, 2023 and will feature the winner of the Fiesta Bowl, TCU or Michigan, against the winner of the Peach Bowl, Georgia or Ohio State.
The game will air at 7:30 p.m. Eastern on the main ESPN network and streams live on fuboTV (Try for free).
All-timers: College football national champions from 1869 to today
Rose Bowl — No. 2 Oregon 59, No. 3 Florida State 20
Sugar Bowl — No. 4 Ohio State 42, No. 1 Alabama 35
CFP National Championship — No. 4 Ohio State 42, No. 2 Oregon 20
Orange Bowl — No. 1 Clemson 37, No. 4 Oklahoma 17
Cotton Bowl — No. 2 Alabama 38, No. 3 Michigan State 0
CFP National Championship — No. 2 Alabama 45, No. 1 Clemson 40
Fiesta Bowl — No. 2 Clemson 31, No. 3 Ohio State 0
Peach Bowl — No. 1 Alabama 24, No. 4 Washington 7
CFP National Championship — No. 2 Clemson 35, No. 1 Alabama 31
Rose Bowl — No. 3 Georgia 54, No. 2 Oklahoma 48 ( 2 OT)
Sugar Bowl — No. 4 Alabama 24, No. 1 Clemson 6
CFP National Championship — No. 4 Alabama 26, No. 3 Georgia (OT)
Orange Bowl — No. 1 Alabama 45, No. 4 Oklahoma 34
Cotton Bowl — No. 2 Clemson 30, No. 3 Notre Dame 3
CFP National Championship — No. 2 Clemson 44, No. 1 Alabama 16
Peach Bowl — No. 1 LSU 63, No. 4 Oklahoma 28
Fiesta Bowl — No. 3 Clemson 29, No. 2 Ohio State 23
CFP National Championship — No. 1 LSU 42, No. 3 Clemson 25
Rose Bowl — No. 1 Alabama 31, No. 4 Notre Dame 14
Sugar Bowl — No. 3 Ohio State 49, No. 2 Clemson 28
CFP National Championship — No. 1 Alabama 52, No. 3 Ohio State 24
Cotton Bowl — No. 1 Alabama 27, No. 4 Cincinnati 6
Orange Bowl — No. 3 Georgia 34, No. 2 Michigan 11
CFP National Championship — No. 3 Georgia 33, No. 1 Alabama 18
More college football from SI: Top 25 Rankings | Schedule | All Teams
Michigan football has now been projected to land transfer cornerback Josh Wallace, as well as 2024 offensive tackle Bennett Warren. The positive momentum cont
It looks like Mega Barnwell is out the door. Barnwell, a first-year tight end with Penn State football, is no longer with the program, a Penn State Athletics s
Five-star linebacker Sammy Brown committed to Clemson Monday in a social media announc
Clemson football has landed a commitment from Sammy Brown, one of the nation’s top high school players.A five-star recruit, Brown is a 6-foot-2, 230-pound lin