Novak Djokovic continued his campaign for a third Roland-Garros title by outclassing Hungarian Marton Fucsovics 7-6 (2), 6-0, 6-3 to advance to the third round.
The first set was a tricky affair for the world No. 3, who was given a stern test by the big-hitting and supremely fit Fucsovics.
Djokovic moved a break up and served for the set at 5-3, only for his Hungarian opponent to ramp up his level when it mattered, breaking the Serb before holding and taking Djokovic into a tiebreak.
But Novak’s experience came to the fore and he raced through the tiebreak before wrapping up the second set without the drop of a game.
Despite some late rallying by Fucsovics, who broke again as Djokovic served for the match, ultimately it was the enduring quality of the 22-time Grand Slam champion that shone through for a straightforward three set win.
Djokovic will face Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, the 29th seed, next as he continues to build momentum in his campaign for a record-setting 23rd men’s Grand Slam singles title.
Paris (Grand Slam), other second-round results (Stade Roland-Garros, clay, EUR 49.600.000, most recent results first):
- Holger Rune vs. Gael Monfils
- Alexander Zverev vs. Alex Molcan
- Arthur Rinderknech vs. Taylor Fritz
- Francisco Cerundolo vs. Yannick Hanfmann
- Marcos Giron vs. Jiri Lehecka
- Tommy Paul vs. Nicolas Jarry
- Genaro Alberto Olivieri vs. Andrea Vavassori
- Guido Pella vs. Thiago Seyboth Wild
- Aslan Karatsev vs. Frances Tiafoe
- Thiago Agustin Tirante vs. Zhizhen Zhang
- Yoshihito Nishioka vs. Max Purcell
- Emil Ruusuvuori vs. Grigor Dimitrov
- Jannik Sinner vs. Daniel Altmaier
- Giulio Zeppieri vs. Casper Ruud
- Tomas Martin Etcheverry vs. Alex De Minaur
- Borna Coric vs. Pedro Cachin
- Lorenzo Musetti (17) beat Alexander Shevchenko: 6-1, 6-1, 6-2
- Andrey Rublev (7) beat Corentin Moutet: 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
- Alejandro Davidovich Fokina beat Luca Van Assche: 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (6)
- Cameron Norrie (14) beat Lucas Pouille (Q): 6-1, 6-3, 6-3
- Hubert Hurkacz (13) beat Tallon Griekspoor: 6-3, 5-7, 6-7 (13), 7-6 (5), 6-4
- Karen Khachanov (11) beat Radu Albot (Q): 6-3, 6-4, 6-2
- Carlos Alcaraz (1) beat Taro Daniel: 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
- Juan Pablo Varillas beat Roberto Bautista Agut (19): 1-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1, 6-1
- Denis Shapovalov (26) beat Matteo Arnaldi: 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Diego Schwartzman beat Nuno Borges: 7-6 (3), 6-4, 6-3
- Thanasi Kokkinakis (WC) beat Stan Wawrinka: 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-3
- Lorenzo Sonego beat Ugo Humbert: 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (3)
- Fabio Fognini beat Jason Kubler: 6-4, 7-6 (5), 6-2
- Stefanos Tsitsipas (5) beat Roberto Carballes Baena: 6-3, 7-6 (4), 6-2
- Sebastian Ofner (Q) beat Sebastian Korda (24): 6-3, 7-6 (1), 6-4